Not the prettiest series of posts I’ve ever written but I’m just wanting to get this process down as promised. Not my best writing but hopefully the outcome is worth it!
I think I forgot to mention in the last instalment that I painted the hideous backsplash white just after our cupboards were painted. It was actually a great solution that lasted a long time. Although they are not close ups, when you look at the before and after photos you can see the amazing difference:
In the next steps in the reno we knew we wanted to keep the original cupboards. Jamie’s paint job was fantastic and had really held up. I couldn’t justify getting rid of them. So we were left with the question of how to approach the backsplash and the counter. The backsplash had been on there for 60 years or so and the wall behind is plaster. I studied the topic online and the basic conclusion was that this was going to be messy and could potentially damage the wall significantly. We thought of covering it up, adding tiles that matched….nothing would work and we knew it. With no time and lack of confidence in our skill we hired Mike from Pro2call and we were set.
We also needed a new counter desperately. You can see in the above picture the odd corner bit of counter. It had a weird seam where the two side pieces met an oddly shaped middle piece. We couldn’t afford a stone counter, I wasn’t sure we could do concrete justice, I knew I’d ruin wood…so what could we do?
We searched and searched for a solution. When Tim and John came into the picture they commented on my centre island. I had painted the old wood IKEA island pictured above with chalk paint (you knew I’d get it in there somewhere) and attached a cracked ice formica tabletop I’d found when out thrifting. The edging was vintage metal. I loved it and it worked well enough (see photo below). John wondered if we could source the metal edging and have them custom create a counter.
So off I went googling vintage counters and discovered that counters were often made of linoleum edged with metal. Then I read this kitchen reno with these exact products. So off I went to Living Rooms, and eco friendly building store to see what they had in the way of Marmoleum, an eco friendly version. I fell in love with the Lemon Zest colour! Tim then sourced the metal edging and we were set.
See? It was messy. Only one wall was really damaged. Mike repaired it no problem an dee painted over it. Mike tiled with white subway tile from Home Depot and we decided to take it all the way up the wall behind the stove. It is one of my favourite features.
Tim raised the counter height and installed the Marmoleum masterpiece that now had NO SEAMS!!!! They reused our original sink and faucet after cleaning it up a bit and replacing the draining baskets. We changed out the pulls on the old drawers and I love the difference they made.
What else can I show you before I reveal the final product? Well, as per the design pictures I shared in the last post, we needed more drawer space and so Tim built us a new bank of drawers on the other side of the stove. This is where we were finally able to put in a true butcher block countertop. I LOVE IT!! And the drawers are slow close, something our vintage drawers are not. The pulls allowed us to tie in with the old drawers.On the other side of the stove we had a weird gap. This bit took a lot of thought. Tim and John are geniuses though and they cut into the old cupboards and added a spice rack with a front that closely resembled the original “flat with round edges” look. All pieces were painted in the same colour Jamie had used years ago.The piece de resistance though is the unit they created around the fridge. So much to show you there but I need to take pictures first. For now, you’ll have to be content with these:
I think that’s as far as I can take it given I have no more pics to share. I’ll take some soon so you can see it in all its glory. Until then.